UNIX System Administrator-Enterprise Systems
Location: San Mateo, CA
NextLabs®, Inc., a growing startup in the information compliance space, has an exciting opportunity for an experienced UNIX/Linux system professional to support our IT and engineering infrastructure. Successful candidates will be responsible for understanding; extending, monitoring, troubleshooting, and up keeping of our global IT and development systems.
We’re looking for the best and brightest system administrators to support our mission critical production systems. We want those individuals who thrive on being in the middle of all the action and who are looking for additional challenges above and beyond traditional IT functions.
- Monitor, identify and diagnose systems issues that occur in production and lab/research environments and troubleshoot their root causes.
- Familiarity with most basic Unix system administration tools and processes; for example, can boot/shut down a machine, add and remove user accounts, use backup programs and fsck or chkdsk, maintain system database files (groups, hosts, aliases, usermanager.)
- Fundamental understanding of the Unix operating system; for example, understands job control, soft and hard links or shortcuts, distinctions between the kernel and the user environment.
- Administer both small uniform sites and large computing environments that include remote data centers.
- Test and deploy enterprise-wide systems configuration changes.
- Capacity planning for continued expansion.
- Respond to emergency outages.
- Responsible for administering and supporting databases, SAP ERP, and PLM systems and ensuring their performance, availability and security.
- Responsible for ensuring availability and performance of the servers, databases, and key enterprise applications.
- Responsible for improvement and maintenance of the key systems to include rollout and upgrades.
- Works under the general supervision of the IT Manager.
- A degree in computer science or related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in UNIX system administration, UNIX application support, or UNIX system development (Linux experience preferred.)
- Considerable background in operating system commands/utilities, applications support, in-house IT systems development and familiarity with the constraints and issues of large-scale production IT systems.
- Networking and TCP/IP working knowledge.
- Familiarity with networked/distributed computing environment concepts; for example, can use the route command or administer routing and remote access service, add a workstation to a network, and mount remote file systems.
- Working experience in managing internal and external database security and database systems, preferably Oracle or SQL Server.
- Experience with monitoring systems like Intermapper, Nagios, and Cacti.
- Familiarity with kernels and system performance tuning.
- Programming experience with the ability to script in Tk, Perl, python and/or shell, as well as comprehend code written in a variety of languages.
- Ability to train users in applications and operating system fundamentals and writing basic documentation.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and ability to stay cool under pressure.
- Reasonable on-call schedule.
- Working experience with SAP ERP and PLM is a plus.
- Experience with storage environments is a plus.
- Experience with configuration management systems a plus.
Please submit your resume online.