How to Achieve Technical Data Export Compliance
Following regulations when exporting your technical data is only half of achieving compliance, the other half is proving compliance. This is best done by creating and keeping track of a comprehensive audit trail. This means keeping tabs on your data, including who has access to it, who has accessed it, and who it has been sent to. However, this can be difficult to manually, which is why many people turn towards automated compliance solutions.
A quality automated compliance solution will streamline your export regulation process by applying policies across the servers, applications, and workstations where technical data is managed and stored. These policies assist in controlling who can access, share and edit data in order to prevent compliance violations caused by human error.
When looking for automated compliance solutions, keep in mind a few key aspects:
- Control access to technical data based on user citizenship, certification training, computer system, and physical location.
- Track and apply policy-based controls on technical data to control duplication, storage, copy/paste, printing, removable media, e-mail,
- Automatically match technical data export to Export Licenses or Technical Assistance Agreements (TAA).
- Create information barriers around projects, applications, and systems to prevent leakage of export-controlled technical data into uncertified systems or applications.
- Detect user activity that constitutes Deemed Export and automate the process of export license determination and/or manager approval.